Saturday, June 5, 2010

Scream and Shout


School is out! I finished first with my finals the first part of May. After my first year on my masters, I am pleased to report drum roll please.a 4.0! I can't believe it myself.



Heath was next with preschool closing ceremonies, which does make me think of the Incredibles and that we really do celebrate mediocrity! So this kid,


Yes, this kid pictured, got the award for being Mr. Responsible. That is Incredible! Here he is receiving his award.


I don't know when the kid I drop off becomes that responsible kid but I am pleased he did so well in preschool.
Rianne's final day of 2nd grade was June 2nd. She didn't receive any major awards, just good grades and advancement to 3rd grade. But this is no mediocre kid. I was walking with her to the bus stop one morning and I said I can carry your backpack for you, then when I put it on I asked "Ria, why is your backpack so heavy?" her answer "Oh that's my scriptures" Our conversation went a little like this: Mom: Ria why are you taking your scriptures to school?
Ria: we get free reading time.
Mom: how long?
Ria: 15 minutes.
Mom: No, I mean how long have you been taking them to school?
Ria: a few weeks now.
Mom: So, what are you reading about?
Ria: Joseph and his brothers
Mom: What do you think?
Ria: They were pretty mean, yesterday they put him in a pit.
Mom: Oh.
Heath: ha, how could he fit in a pit?
Ria: it's in the scriptures Heath so it's true!
Heath: Was it a peach pit?
I explained how some words have more than one meaning. I feel so blessed that I get to share those little moments with my kids and that they walk in truth! I don't know if I would have been brave enough to take my scriptures to school. Ria continues to amaze me, with her unwavering faith. Even with a recent disappointment she said "we should thank Heavenly Father because it must not have been the right thing." I often wonder who is raising who? The words to a song come back to me, "Come little Child and TOGETHER we'll learn". I think I'm doing more of the learning.



Now for the scream and shout: What a wild school's out party at the park! My kids had such a good time!
Eating? doughnuts on a string. I wondered how they would handle the shaving cream fight. They loved it and both got right in the middle of it. Although I got this picture of Ria at the beginning
by the end her hair was covered and she was even going after the fire fighters and getting soaked with the fire hose.
Heath said, "it hurts when it gets in your eyes". I said, "next time you'll have to wear glasses". (Not that Ria used her's) Heath: "No, they should use silly string!" What a blast, Bring on the summer!

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh how I love your family!!!!!

Kanani said...

Ria is such a great example to us all. Looks like a fun party and yes, bring on the summer!

Emily* said...

Wow! I love that story about Ria!! Totally inspiring! It is amazing how kids really think! I feel like your stories about your kids are always surprising me. They are so strong and truly faithful! I love them sooo much! I hope I can have a fam like yours one day!

Stephanie Cozzens said...

Your kids are awesome - they clearly get it from their mom (and I'm sure dad had something to do with it, too).
Congratulations on the 4.0! If I didn't like you so much I would be wildly jealous of your mad skills. Good job.

Ashley Jackson said...

Congrats on finishing the school year with a 4.0!! That's awesome! Love the scripture story, Ria is great! She is even reading the Old Testament, that's pretty impressive that's not easy reading:) What a good little missionary she already is I bet her teachers think she is a pretty neat kid!

The Morriss Family said...

Yay for summer! And can I say, I laughed so hard when I saw your "Responsible One" stuck IN the toilet seat. You really have wonderful kids, Jana. Hope to be a good enough mom like you someday. Congrats on your achievements, offspring and academic!