Monday, June 18, 2012

Daddy's day

Fitting that I would teach on Father’s Day and that it would be about prayer. Even though it is one of the standard Sunday school answers I’m still discovering so much. Since Rianne has been born my prayers have changed because she is a daddy’s girl. She loves her dad and she can really get his eyes to sparkle with pride (the good kind). She can’t wait to tell him exciting news or show him something she has been working on. She isn’t just this way when she is excited and happy. She is that way when she is scared or sick he is who she wants no matter what. This week she threw up in the car it was so gross maybe it was because of my lesson but I watched that relationship. She wasn’t feeling good she tried to hide it but he knew and kept asking her if she needed anything, she’d say no I’m okay. Then she puked and it was stinky and all over the car (it could have been avoided or at least given her a bag or something). When we got home she got in the shower when she got out it was no surprise that she asked where is dad? I said cleaning out the car she put her head down and said oh, then she softly walked outside quietly whispered “Dad” he looked up from the mess and she said sorry threw her arms around him and said thank you for cleaning up oh dad I’m so sorry. He returned her hug and gave her a tender kiss on the forehead as I watched this picture came into my head.

Oh how she seeks his approval and always wants to please him. This pattern has been repeated so many times in our home and it has changed my prayers. When I pray I see a loving Father in heaven, he knows I’m worried that I don’t know what to do and is waiting for me to ask. Then when I try to do it alone I make a big mess. He cleans it up, I apologize and He always loves me. Oh how I love feeling like I’m a spiritual daddy’s girl. This week I have been quicker to kneel in happiness and gratitude of his tender mercies. I seek His approval. How grateful I am for Rianne and Brant to show me that pattern. I challenged my girls to find something they really want an answer to and PUSH (Pray Until Something Happens).

I gave them push pops and told them this candy takes time to eat; more licks are ahead but we keep praying.

Brant is an amazing dad. Ria made up a song for him “Dad is great, he’s not a grape”. We sang to him and made pizza on the grill for dinner (It is totally what he wanted :).

This year again reminded me of how much he does, when I try to do it and can’t even do half. He isn't just great to us but for flag day he took in treats to work!
I think everyone who knows him is lucky but I remind my kids all the time not all dads are this great.   

On father's day Bennett hit 5 months So big so fast! 


No comments: