Sunday, May 15, 2011

you are SEW a good Mom!

People say things like “you are a good mom” and that is nice. I’m not a bad mom, I’m not a good mom but I have good kids.


Rianne did my hair for mother’s day and Heath made me eggs (after he said “make me some eggs already”)

Sometimes these two really do make me proud, they also give me the title of Mom which I am grateful for.

They are thoughtful see they gave me a sleeping bag so I wouldn’t get cold on trek.

Somehow what your children do becomes a reflection of what kind of mom you are. My kids do some praise worthy things, and some not so good things. Either way I think it is generally in spite of their mother not because she is “good” or not. Truthfully I do love my children very much but I am selfish. I lose my patience with insignificant things, like when they don’t take their plates to the sink.

I know some mom’s who I admire. They feel the same reflection as a gauge to their description of what kind of mom they are. The problem with this is they are incredible but they have extremely challenging kids. They are patient EVERYDAY they celebrate personal victories when it is just that the amount of meltdowns this week went down. They recognize and are grateful for things I take for granted in fact I may not even notice. I’m not just talking about once in a while I am saying they consistently do this day in and day out with little or no praise. I wouldn’t want to change places with them but I want to be that kind of GOOD as a mom.

Motherhood wears me thin even with my good kids and the amazing support system I have. I just can’t cover everything. I always have a pile of mending that needs to be done from holes my weaknesses leave. Figuratively and literally. I have a mother-in-law who has patched us up figuratively and literally. Check out this patch job for Rianne with that personal touch! Thanks grandma Brown for ALL the patch jobs!


3 comments:

Stephanie Cozzens said...

Well I think you're a GREAT mom. You don't back down from the hard challenges with your kids or let things slide, which is so easy to do - at least for me.

Natalie said...

Give yourself more credit! Someday I hope to be as "bad" of a mom as you. :)

Brant and Jana said...

I should clarify I don't think I'm bad or good. I have great kids and I love them that is being a mom.