Monday, April 4, 2011

You ain’t Foolin’ Anyone


Who are these fools?
I want to celebrate everything. I love holidays and know that despite my parenting flaws, my children will have some happy childhood memories. Rianne actually has April Fool's in her top three for favorites. We had our April fools family home evening about the Wiseman and the foolish man. We had visitors and Heath was so excited to have one of his Primary teachers come. Instead of blocks I thought it would be fun to do jell-o jigglers but I foolishly made regular jell-o ;). We stacked Marshmallows instead I think we still got the point about building on a strong not shaky foundation and having a testimony of Christ and His words, which goes with the history of April Fools.
(here it is in a nut shell if you don't know) 1582, in France. Prior to that year, the New Year was celebrated for eight days, beginning on March 25. The celebration culminated on April 1. With the reform of the calendar under Charles IX, the Gregorian calendar was introduced, and New Year's Day was moved to January 1. Communications being what they were in the days many people did not receive the news or couldn't read the announcement; they continued to celebrate the New Year on April First. They received the label of "fools" by the general public. They were subject to some ridicule, and were often sent on "fool's errands" or were made the butt of other practical jokes. It is always good to remember that I can know for myself the truthfulness of the gospel and how grateful I am to Read His words. I'm also slow to conform J

Then came the day of foolishness; We had "eggs" for breakfast, I'm so glad Pam gave us some eggs from her chickens because it played into the size of the yolk. We had inside out sandwiches for lunch. Rianne was stocked up with pranks for school.
You can see her inside out sandwich and of course the apple cider vinegar (apple juice). She wrapped her ankle and hopped into circle time with all the "what happened?" she yelled "April Fools". I think that one was her favorite. She took a shock pen and got a few laughs from that, and of course the ol' spring in a can joke got the lunch duty lady with that one. I also made sure she had some worms and rocks for lunch she loved the little surprise treat. She came home so excited about the day I couldn't help but smile. She gets so excited to pull a prank that she almost gives it away. 

  Heath on the other hand is very sneaky, in March he got caught watching basketball, instead of cleaning his room, I couldn't really get too upset with that he did let me know the score J I made some foolish picks on my bracket and Brant killed me this is not good for my record he beat me in bowl picks too. Sorry, foolishly distracted.  
On April 1st Heath put his breakfast plate in the pantry to trick me and never said anything until I found it just after lunch! He loved being a sneaky prankster April first or not.
I made "milk shakes" for dinner really I just blended soup but when Brant went to add salt Ria tricked him by switching it to sugar. She was the only one that got Dad!
Then we got treats ready, got into our disguises (that could fool anyoneJ) and set out on our Fool's errand. I hope the unsuspecting fools enjoyed their treats!
How fitting that General conference falls right after April Fools, How great the wisdom and the love! What a wonderful weekend filled with a little foolishness and a lot of Wisdom!



6 comments:

Ashley Jackson said...

Wow that is one full day of foolishness!! Sounds like you all had a great day and weekend. What fun tricks:)

Unknown said...

You are so clever! You guys sure have a lot of fun!

Tera said...

YOU ALL ARE JUST A BUNCH OF FOOLS! I have never known a family as much fun as yours!

Natalie said...

You're so fun! Love your new family picture- You guys are the cutest bunch of "fools" I've ever seen!

John and Lindsay said...

So much fun! I might have to start stealing some of your cute Holiday ideas.

Eli & Corinne said...

So fun!!! You get me so excited about celebrating these little holidays and the last couple years we had fun April Fool's Days here, thanks to you, but this year I just couldn't pull it off. (Was sick and had to work.) The best I could manage was to suggest wearing mismatching socks to Alyssa --- she happily did, only to come home disappointed that her teacher didn't do anything fun at all. But then Dad got her when the cat ran by as we pulled up and he said her ran her over. Mean! (But kind of funny!)