Sunday, September 13, 2009

No Blood, No foul

I'm not a nurturer by nature, I usually say things like are you bleeding? or Live or die what do you choose. Rianne has it rough because she came first and I'm figuring this out as I go. I remember when Heath was cutting teeth and I'd let him suck on popsicles, she kept saying her mouth hurt, I was like you're not having another popsicle they are for Heath, she whined but I ignored her, when dad got home Brant said, "Jana her mouth is a little swollen", then that night while brushing her teeth, she cried. The next day we took her to the dentist and she had an abscessed tooth! I never claimed to be good at this mom thing, although I do really love my kids!
Any way in more recent news: Let me start that on September 1st our insurance coverage began here at NAU. That same day at recess before the start of school, Rianne was playing on the monkey bars and when she was getting down she jumped off, lost her balance and hurt her arm. (She is adamant she did not fall off the monkey bars) She went class when the bell rang and it was still hurting and her eyes were filling up with tears. A little girl at her table asked what was wrong she said her arm hurt, the little girl told the teacher, who sent her to the school nurse. (I later ask Ria why she didn't tell the teacher, her response "it wasn't bleeding"- Nice parenting Jana) The Nurse takes a look wraps it and says if it still hurts after lunch come see her. After lunch Ria goes back and tells the nurse it still kind of hurts, so the nurse calls me, I ask should I come get her the nurse asks if she wants to go home Rianne insists she'll be okay, she stays at school the whole day! Rianne gets off the bus I take a look at her arm and it is pretty swollen, I have her ice it and when dad gets home we decided it didn't look very good, Rianne says "its okay I don't want it to be broken". We give her some Motrin and send her to bed. The next morning it is still swollen, she still wanted to do chores that morning she actually cleaned the bathroom (her choice, I did not make her). We take her into the clinic, (we don't even have our insurance cards yet, so Brant is calling HR for the numbers while I'm filling out the paperwork, I'm so grateful for cell phones and text messaging and insurance!) The nurse asks Ria what happened the nurse says something about falling off the monkey bars happening to lots of kids. Rianne corrects her and says I did not fall! When the doctor came to take a look she repeated the fact that she did not fall, he moved her arm around pushed on it and asked if it hurt she said a little and kind of, He looked at me, I said I don't know I guess she has a high tolerance for pain. After repeating that she did NOT FALL to the x ray technician, we have x-rays taken and her arm was in fact broken, and that is when she cried, because she didn't want it to be broken. They referred us to an orthopedic and we were off to explain to at least 4 more people that she didn't fall. She has a compound buckle fracture in the big bone and a hair line in the little one. They couldn't cast it that day because of the swelling and they have to make sure in stays aligned or they have to set it. So she was in a splint and sling for a week.

Luckily it stayed lined up on 9-9-09 @ 9:00am Ria was eating 9 M&M's getting ready for her cast. That nasty break is now casted!

Dad was the first one she wanted to sign it. Later that day she was out riding her bike and trying to pogo stick. I think she was glad to have her elbow back. She asked me if she could do the monkey bars again, I said yes when your grip is a little stronger (maybe when the cast comes off!). I'm all about get back on the horse but Ria is crazy! She also has not enjoyed the added attention she wanted a shirt that said what happened so she didn't have to say it a hundred times! It has not slowed her down!

I must add some tender mercies in addition to the insurance, it is her left arm, summer is over but we are not yet into long sleeves. Her cast should be off by her baptism although her cast is waterproof, how cool is that? Stayed aligned even with Heath. I think she is pretty tough, and I am proud of her for handling it so well!








11 comments:

Natalie Puikkonen said...

Wow she is a tough girl and wow I had no idea you were such a tough Mom. :o)

Kanani said...

You are too funny Jana! Nice description of all that happened. When is the date of Ria's baptism? And will you be doing it in Arizona?

Tonia said...

When Jercie broke her collar bone we waited 2 days to take her to the hospital. Mike kept telling me it was just bruised. See if I listen to him again. I tell my kids that if they aren't bleeding or dying I don't want to hear it. :)

Team Millward said...

Oh my gosh, I'm telling you what, if that was my daughter she would be milking it for what it's worth. Anytime she bumps into something she claims she needs a bandaid. I'm not at all surprised Ria is tough like her mama! And waterproof cast? Is that a new thing?

Staci said...

What a tough girl! Sounds like my house. No Blood, No Foul, might be a sign on my way before too long. I think if we teach our kids to be tough they won't be winers! But then again, we want them to complain enough when something is really wrong. I am glad you had insurance. What wonderful timing. I hope you are doing well.

Tera said...

So we already know that she is such a beautiful girl and now we know that she is just plan bronze (tough) and beauty.

Unknown said...

What a trooper. She cracks me up! Way to make em' tough! Tell Ria we are thinking of her.

Natalie said...

She's so tough! I love that she kept insisting that she didn't fall. Hope your arm heals quickly Ria and that you are back on the monkey bars soon!

Natalie said...

P.S. I think it's funny that the side picture of Heath and the picture of Ria leaning over line up and they look like they are holding the same pose. Did you do that on purpose?

Gerilyn said...

Like mother like daughter...tough as nails! This post was so funny, even at the expense of poor little Ria. you are still hilarious! I hope she's feeling better!

Ashley Jackson said...

Wow! What a story! She is a tough girl! You can tell Ria that I didn't fall off the monkey bars either...but I did fall on them cause I was walking on top and that resulted in the scar I wear by my eye:) No fun to have these little accidents but it sounds like she is handling it very well and I am glad everything worked out so well and especially you had insurance!!