Monday, June 16, 2014

Lil' tick Lot-a-Lyme



 I was diagnosed with late stage/chronic Lyme disease.  Just getting to the diagnosis is a story in and of itself, to keep it short I will just say I am grateful it is not MS as those are the mimicked symptoms I was experiencing.  I did have a tick removed as a child when my family was on vacation back east. The Lyme culture that I had run showed it has been in my system for over 10 years.  We are guessing closer to 30 although after 10 it really doesn’t matter.  Lyme left untreated can cause an autoimmune response.  This explains so many past health issues.  The Doctor was encouraged that I was still walking (so I guess that is good news)!  I think the falling over episodes are what scare me the most.  She said my liver numbers were much better than anticipated (good thing I am not a drinker, probably saved my life).  For years I have managed symptoms.  It is a challenge now to not make the symptoms go away but to treat them, which may, at times, entail them getting worse and this has been the case.  I have been pushing through for so long, the other challenge is making myself rest so I don’t crash.     



I am learning a lot about Lyme disease, the documentary "Under our Skin" is a very informative if you are interested in learning more about it.  Lyme is caused by bacterial spirochetes with biofilm that set up colonies in the body.  I am not an expert but I do know my case is a little complicated due to the duration.  Also with Lyme (Borrelia) come co-infections.  These can be bacterial and viral.  The current co-infections I have tested positive for are Bacterial: Ehrlichia, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, and a form of Chlamydia (not the STD).  Viral: Epstein-Barr, and some version of HHV.  I am still being tested for more of them; it feels like building a personal Lyme profile.  There is a book by Horowitz called “Why I Can’t Get Better", it has been a bible for me.
As far as treatment goes, that will be a process. We are starting with just building my depleted immune system, I currently have the adrenals of a frail 70 year old. (no wonder on my best day I can’t keep up with my mother-in-law) when my body is strong enough we will start with bartonella treatments, then on to antibiotics for Lyme.  We have to take it a little at a time (like a tick) trying not to trigger an autoimmune response and keep Jarisch-Herxheimer reactions at a minimum (they aggravate symptoms, and cause increased inflammation).      
             
I guess this is the nuts and bolts.  The emotions of it all, I’m still processing, not sure I am ready to blog this yet, so the emotional side will just have to wait.

No comments: