Sunday, February 16, 2014

When there is love @ home



Well this has been an interesting school year I have met with Heath’s teacher a few times but she seems unwilling to make adaptations for Heath.  I think she would like to tell me he is ADHD.  However he is doing fine academically and qualified for the gifted program.  He is a very independent thinker which seems to get him in trouble.  I have let her know that she is not to take away recess from him and if she can’t think of anything else for behavior consequences, I will come get him.  He is very active and that was a rough day for all of us L.  Then the awards for the cleanest table Heath wants to win and sometimes he will push the envelope.  So after assigning himself to his own table and holding interviews making sure his table would commit to keeping things clean yes he stacked his team the teacher felt he was excluding other kids.  When I asked him about it he said I like to play with him on the playground but he has a messy table no way he is sitting at my table.  This kid is management!  The behavior issues continued especially during math (How would you like taking the same test you have received a perfect score on twice before?)  I began to loath when she had pick up duty, I was sick of hearing “he had a rough day today”!  The final straw was when Heath asked me “what do you do if you like someone but they don’t like you?”  I told him he could still be kind and try to include them but shake it off if they don’t choose to play with you, We talked about we read Luke Chapter 6 about loving your enemies I said we can always be kind. 
 
Heath got this little smile and announced that he would be praying for his teacher.  This really did break my heart.  I admit he is a tough kid and add that to 20 other kids and major challenge, but he is my tough kid and desires to be good, I love him.  I was praying what should I do?  The principal didn’t think we had enough cause to change classes.  In church I felt this calm feeling that he needed to know he was loved.  So I pulled him to be homeschooled. After testing to see where he was grade level for spelling he was right on reading a year above but math 5th grade!  No wonder he was bored.  I don’t have some crazy good curriculum.  I am doing physio-neuro work but what I do have is love for this challenging, strong willed, smart boy!   When I let his teacher know she said “that is really going to bring down my class test scores”.  I keep coming back to the book the true story of the 3 little pigs.  I am usually a pretty calm fella but when somebody says something like that I tend to go a little crazy.  I was fine but it just confirmed to me that he was a number and this kid is more than a test score to me!  I really am enjoying our time together more than I thought and he has been awesome for Bennett.  Makes some pretty mean pancakes and gives a great hand massage oh and does good school work too! 

No comments: