Friday, March 22, 2013

Spring Break with a Saint

Over St. Patrick’s day weekend we went to surprise my mother-in-law with support as she was awarded Woman of the Year.  Planning a surprise that includes a big family is a little tricky.  It was so worth it.  I was touched by the write up about the amazing woman she is.  Honored to be numbered among those she has had great influence on.  My mother-in-law is the most genuine person.  The slide show and write up showing how much she has done and continues to do in the community and her kindness.  They talked about meals delivered, quilts scouts etc.  The crowd stood to give her a well deserved standing ovation and her family came up on stage to congratulate her (the first she knew of ALL of us arriving).  There are probably not too many people in her community that she hasn’t influenced.  As I looked out at the crowd and also the family that surrounded me a thought struck me…I can personally attest to countless hours of service to my family, the incredible thing is the people standing have no idea how good to the core she really is. 

Often people will tell me how kind or nice my husband is and I think you have no idea because he is that good not just to people but to his family.  Brant is so much like his dad but after this weekend I realized he is like his mom too.  People see them as good people but the fact is they are Great people.  They treat their families even better so people may get a glimpse of their goodness but how blessed I am to really get them.  I am guilty of sometimes putting or giving my best to other people and not my family but being that good to both is what a real Saint does.  She is awesome and having all of her 5 daughter-in-laws adore her may make her the best mother-in-law ever and that is impressive!

After she received her award we were lucky to watch Michael McLean preform “Threads”.  The song what is “best for you is hardest for me”, Hit Brant and I  and we were both in tears.  Another quote that hit me was when he said “Faith is what you do when you don’t feel it”  Wish I had a copy of the group picture of us on the stage.   

We were able to enjoy the family and spend some time in the red dirt we love so much.  Bennett hates shoes which he took off and then off came the socks his little tough flat feet enjoyed the sand between his toes.  Rianne and Heath always have a blast with their cousins and they were lucky enough to ride 4 wheelers. 
We were also able to help till the garden for Brant’s parents. 
And Mary was kind enough to let us crash at their place.  The kids were lucky that the leprechaun found them there and at home too. 
Bennett’s face was so cute when he saw all the green footprints.                         

No comments: