Sunday, November 27, 2011

Grateful to Grin and Bear it!

I don’t like to be a whiner, but I have to make a conscious effort to be positive. (It doesn’t come naturally) I have debated this post so with that being said…
I have had a headache for 6 weeks, it is progressively getting worse and sudden movements send the pain shooting. It is localized at my right temple and worse in the evening and first thing in the morning. The doctor has diagnosed it as a migraine (as if the label helps, but the pain killers do).
I have not had one last this long for 20 years! I could stay here and continue the complaining and the list of remedies I have tried, doctor’s visits etc. My dad taught me (all of my siblings at one time or another) that you can be just as sick laying down as standing up. I think this sometimes carries me over to guilt for not doing as much, feeling like it is an excuse and not a reason, but for the most part life has gone on. There are days when I just want to cry because I can’t take it anymore and days that I come out swinging and fighting through it. I think you get the point of what I feel I am “bearing” so here are the things that are make me grin.
Gratitude

Prayer this month we made a goal in our family prayers to only express gratitude and not ask for anything this has been a fun change from the “vain repetitions” with prayers of gratitude Heath adds that he is grateful for elbows, that he isn’t in foster care, lunches mom packs, the ones that aren’t skimpy.

Thanksgiving it was wonderful to share it with family. I was so grateful that we were able to stay with McKay and have a place to escape with my head. The kids also had an absolute blast! One thing I love is that we get together and have our own Turkey Bowl, I was not about to miss football with the nieces and nephews!
 I like making pie, although Heath was upset I didn’t make real pumpkin pie so I owe him.
Brant’s brother also set up a photo shoot area so we could update grandma & grandpa’s board. Look at all the fun we had!

Nate took this one! 

grandpa and the granddaughters (that were there)
There was plenty of pie don’t you think! Ria sharing with her cousins she learned that dessert plate from her dad!
We also got to meet our 2 new beautiful nieces Tenley and Mirra.
Tenley with her mom

Mirra the mover with me. 
 Enjoyed the warm weather

Marlin with Heath Marlin
 My baby sister also came over to visit which I LOVED! thanks for coming Goose!
I am so grateful for the gospel. We were able to welcome home Dalton and send off Josh when Dalton was hugging everyone and telling them they had gotten so big, I ‘m so glad he didn’t say that to me  I ‘m grateful for all the cousins and for their example to my son (someday all of this will be worth it) 
Heres hoping Heath will grow a foot or 2 :) 
Such a great family and a great weekend.

My sweet little family

If there is one thing this headache has taught me it is that this little boy
 helps me grin every day I don’t think I could endure this without him! He is funny when he doesn’t know it, and not as funny when he’s trying.
The other day he said, “Mom, I think you should know if I live to be 100 years old I will never want peppers in my eggs.” When I grin at that he looks at me incredulously indicating he doesn’t want to have to tell me again. Here are some other moments that he has created so I can grin
“I like that I have soft ears, I just kinda wish you didn’t like them.”

“Belly buttons are cool, I just don’t get why boys have them.”

“I think it would be better for both of us if you took a nap.”

Then on the radio the other day a car dealership was indicating credit checks with “no headaches” so, of course, Rianne said, “no headaches?” Heath quickly said, “Mom you should go there today!”
Rianne and Brant have been wonderful to step up and help too! Doing laundry, dishes, dinner, I don’t think anyone has noticed it isn’t me getting it done. On top of all that Rianne also practices piano without being asked and keeps up on her homework, and takes care of Heath too! Brant patiently lets me try every cockamamie remedy that has been suggested! I have tried peppermint oil (which does dull), magnesium, B2, well all the B vitamins, tulsi tea, going completely alkaline (aka all veggies). Lots of water, breathing techniques, caffeine, a massage, chlorophyll, I have even walked outside with my bare feet to use the magnetic energy to “ground” myself. Not to mention the blood work and tests to figure it out. My chiropractor, who has been pulling out all kinds of tricks said “this is tormenting me” I answered back with “me too”.
1 Thessalonians 5:18 In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
Maybe I’m not grateful FOR my situation right now but I can be grateful IN it, and simply grin and bear it!

6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristi said...

Ok Jana... when my Migraines last that long there is simply nothing to do but get hospitalised and go on a Morphine Drip. I have had to do it a few times and it stinks but then it is over.... Otherwise I have stuff you can try! I thought you ssid it was better!?!? I should have known not to trust ya;) Love you Jana - SERIOUSLY let me know what I can do! If anyone knows what you are going through, I do!!!

Brant and Jana said...

kristi- it is getting better I had hives last weekend and it has been much lighter.

Stephanie Cozzens said...

Yikes - that's longer than anybody should ever have to deal with a headache! I don't have any new suggestions. I just hope you get better soon. Your attitude is amazing.

Eli & Corinne said...

Yuck! I had major migraines for 3 months I tried everything I could think of too, but the only thing that really made them go away was when I laid down with my head cocked to the left side just so. After 2 MRI I finally got some pills too. So sorry and I hope those pain pills do wonders!!! : )

Heath cracks me up too, especially that part about the no headache credit deal. Thanks for sharing.

Mikkel said...

Woot woot Me and Tenny made the blog!! Sorry you've been having such bad headaches, 6 weeks, I don't think I could handle that. Way to hang in there...