Wednesday, July 28, 2010

75 Brown’s and counting BFR 2010


Brown Family Reunion is always a highlight of the year. Rianne wanted to be the first one there for the reunion, so Ria and Heath spent the week before the reunion with grandma & grandpa hopefully helping in the preparations. We heard about Heath's helping in the mud making department oh the joys of boys and summertime! The Brown's now total 75 ½. 3 are serving missions, and 7 couldn't make it bringing the grand total of attendees to 65 ½. The reunion officially began on Friday with catching up. No matter how I try I never get to visit with everyone as much as I'd like, of course if the reunion was a month long it still wouldn't be enough time! After a wonderful dinner the ladies went off to celebrate with more food and what will take that ½ to a solid Brown #76-- a baby shower for Ashley & Shaye I totally forgot her cute gift and so my talented nephew Dallin drew some beautiful Holiday onesies so she will at least know what is coming! (hopefully Brittney got a picture of that)It also brought back some memories of my own Brown family shower for Rianne thrown by the lovely and talented Tye. It meant so much to me, and the memory means even more to me now. Ria was 3 ½ weeks old and we came for Thanksgiving. Tye found out no one had thrown me a baby shower and she put one together.


Then it was off to the late night movie enjoyed on the backyard!
Look how cute the two who started this are, I think their first date was even to a movie!
Early, and Arizona to Utah time I do mean EARLY the next morning we went on a little hike. I teared up as we left and watched grandpa and Alvin walk back to their car. Grandpa used to make this hike as a kid all the time my how the view must have changed. Alvin has been having real health issues but he is such an outdoors guy that I'm sure he wanted to ditch the oxygen and head up with us so it broke my heart. I know that struggle for balance in who you are and being held back on what you can do! But they did take this picture of our group not all 65 but the 1/2 came!  
 Heath of course found Caiden (who happens to have the softest 13 year old ears ever!) I think they may have been the first up the hill, thanks for not letting him fall.
Don't mind how lovely I look in the pictures didn't I mention it was early.

Here is Robert pointing out some things to Angela, by the end of the reunion his nose had grown so I don't know how much she should believe him. J

Crazy cousins who always have a good time together and get so excited to see eachother
We also went to the Pioneer day parade. Grandma and Grandpa Great (Johnson) were the grand marshals and they looked great my kids enjoyed it too!
More Backyard business was planned with games and craft time. I'm still in awe on how 65 ½ people can fit so comfortably in Grandma & Grandpa's back yard.
I have to put in these pictures I think Brant and I have the same feelings for arts & crafts! But I did finish my bracelet, and felt quite proud of myself Thanks for cheering me on Lois and Ashley, it was very "enriching" (that's for you Shaye)!








And aren't these about the cutest reunion T's ever?
And as if all that wasn't enough it was on to the Kanab pool. I was over the top proud of Heath he was really swimming! From first words to first steps and now first strokes, they grow up too fast!
The pool was the real reason for Roberts nose growing, that slide can be rough (I'm still not too sure about his stories though)! But not as rough as a game of basketball in the pool, where Brandon not even 10 minutes into the game left for the hospital, but did return for dinner sporting stitches to his nose and head. It is an injury in true Brown fashion we document with pictures (I forgot my camera but pictures were taken, just not by me)!
Dinner was again delicious more visiting and fireworks. Brant was eating up Tavin, who as Angela pointed out does really look like a cabbage patch doll. Background is nice too Brady with a fork and T and Sara sneakin' in a kiss!
We also had a little fireworks show, this Reunion was packed with go, go, go, good times!
The next day grandpa closed the reunion with most of us in tears; he showed us a map with dots for all the missionaries who have served from our family. We really are spreading the gospel throughout the world. He talked about how our family grows with each union and each birth and grows stronger with each crisis faced. I have often said with this many faithful prayers offered on our behalf we cannot fail, and it gives me courage to go on, when my faith gets a little shaky. I know who I am and I am humbled and honored to be a Brown.  Very well planned McKay & Lois you did such a great job! 

So after all that packed into a weekend, Sunday hit and it truly was a day of rest. At one point during sacrament meeting an entire row of Browns were sleeping! Heath slept so well with his head on Caiden's lap, that after church there was a drool mark. I also loved that we sat where Nate (our nephew with Down syndrome) got to pass us the sacrament, he was so proud to do that. Nate also provided another highlight for me this weekend. He gave me the best hug I've ever had from him, I wanted to melt, then, he looked at me and seemed to be appalled at what he had done. He doesn't talk but he was vocal about what he had done. I don't know who he thought I was but I enjoyed the hug.

I always get a kick out of kids; Eloise who is 5 had me cracking up all weekend, she even got after Brant when he finished the blessing on the food and told him in disgust; "you forgot to pray Uncle Alvin" my favorite was when I asked her how I could be as cute as her and she said "you'll have to get some new clothes from the store or the neighbor's"

I couldn't believe how much Kaija had changed and I thought it was adorable that she can tell you what a lion, dog and Iron Man say. I also loved holding the newest Brown, little Daxton Cowdell, he likes milk but hasn't figured out oreo's yet!
The Brown's are genuine what you see is what you get kind of people, I feel honored to be counted among them. We wanted to be to 100 by the time it was our turn to be in charge of the reunion but that doesn't look likely. So Natalie, I think it will be awesome to get to 80 by grandpa's 80th Birthday! So come on Brown's we only need 4 more this year! 

4 comments:

Jonathon and Amanda said...

Yes I am a slacker. I totally forgot to upload Heath swimming. I will do that during nap time today I hope. P.S. Love the shirts. Can't wait to see how the garden is coming along.

Ashley Jackson said...

Wow Jana you documented everything so well! I feel like I got to relive the reunion just reading about it! It made me happy, I should print this off and put it in my journal:) I loved seeing you guys and everyone the BFR is the best and we will be counting down for next year. I do think that is a great idea for us to be to 80 members by Grandpa's 80th B-day. I am adding my one so we need to get some of the other childless couples to get started and maybe we can get there. Someone could have twins...just a thought:)

Natalie said...

Maybe you will be blessed with one this year to add to the count! :)Looks like a very busy but very fun weekend. You are lucky to belong to such a great family. I loved what Marlin said about your family growing stronger with each addition and with each trial you overcome (however he said it). He is such a great man.

A few more days until I get to see you...

Mikkel said...

Haha I was gonna say exactly what Ashley did! You should be the official BFR historian! Seriously I might print it or something. Love the Ella and Nate stories, and the row of sleeping browns haha! And love the goal you set for all of us in the children department. That would be super cool so I hope it happens! Oh and also amazed how well we all fit in back yard. Never felt crowded at all! Fun weekend!!